Common Types of Debit and Credit Card Fraud
Card duplication, which allows for most types of unauthorized purchases. Unauthorized purchases over the internet, phone or email resulting from a lost or stolen credit card. Identity theft which can often result in new credit card accounts opened fraudulently.
How to Protect Yourself from Becoming a Victim of Debit Card and Credit Card Fraud
- Do not let your debit or credit card out of your sight during a point-of-sale transaction.
- Always take your debit or credit card with you at the end of any transaction.
- Review your statements every month. Check for any suspicious transactions and report them immediately.
- Report lost or stolen cards immediately.
- Never give out your debit or credit card number or personal information over the phone unless you initiated the call and verified who you are dealing with.